4.06.2005

2005 Jazzfest Announcement

You gotta be kidding me. I'm sorry I've haven't been good about updating this, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm really busy. So, here it is - better late than never. Here's my 2005 NOLA Jazzfest schedule, what I've got so far, anyway - I'm still trying...

April 21
Tip's Uptown
Galactic/Spam All Stars/DJ Medi4
10 PM
I have to say, I'm really excited about seeing/hearing the Spam All Stars - I had no idea that the main dj collects funky Latin records. Looking forward to this show, and fo' sho' opening for Galactic always makes me feel fuzzy...

April 22
Tip's Uptown
The Frequinox (Stanton Moore, Robert Mercurio (Galactic), Robert Walter (20th Congress, Greyboy All-Stars), Wil Bernard (TK Kirk, Charlie Hunter), and Donald Harrison (Art Blakey)/DJ Medi4
Late Night 2 AM
Click on the link for a fantastic review of the band's CO run. This show will be mostly jazz funk from me, peppered with some cool, dark funky soundtrack music...

April 23
Tip's Uptown
Drive By Truckers/DJ Medi4
Late Night 2 AM
Aww yeah! I get a rock set! Expect guitars in all forms - blues, country, rock, punk, garage. Been really feeling the Bellrays lately, btw. Imagine the MC5 fronted by a young Tina Turner, and you're about there. My buddy, Craig Waters, is playing (or destroying, depending) drums for them right now - come check out the Silverlake show this Sunday, April 10 - should be a corker. Their song "Revolution Get Down" is currently being used in a Nissan Xterra commercial - makes you wanna buy one, and drive the shit out of it...

DTB are celebraing the release of their DVD, "Live at the 40 Watt" - come see the show, buy some merch, and get drunk with us.

April 24
Tip's Uptown
Dirty Dozen Brass Band/Rebirth Brass Band/The Wild Magnolias/DJ Medi4 open & setbreaks
9.30 PM
Calling this night "Hatchets & Horns" - this is a music fan's dream. I supported Phil & RBB over NYE weekend, and look forward to seeing my first Wild Mags set. Please go and buy their 1974 self-titled classic - it's not easy to find, but a MOTHER of a funk record.

April 25
The Blue Nile
The Boom Boom Room Presents
Dr Lonnie Smith w/ Donald Harrison, Wil Bernard, Eric Krasno, & Derrek Phillips (and I'm sure a gang of other MF'ers - it's Jazzfest, an the Doctor is a legend)/DJ Medi4
10 PM
Lonnie Smith? Me? Alex, you shouldn't have. I'm all the rage in Europe already, I can tell;)...

April 27
Tip's Uptown
Garage A Trois/Jon Cleary/DJ Medi4
10 PM
Charlie Hunter, Skerik, Stanton Moore, and far from last, Mike Dillon. Gina told me to chase this one hard - says GAT/Tip's shows are always the BOMB. Really, the only 4 white guys allowed to play Go-Go music. Ever.

April 29
The Blue Nile
The Boom Boom Room Presents
Vinyl w/special guests Papa Mali and Melvin Sparks/DJ Medi4
Late night 2 AM
First, check out the new website on Melvin Sparks - lookin' good. This event is being called "The Ultimate House Party", and it very well may live up to the title. It's SF's Vinyl, an incredible band, capable of AMAZING sets on any given night, with the added spice of 2 legendary guitarists, Papa Mali & Melvin Sparks. That, and I'm sure Alex from the BBR has special guests up his sleeve that I don't even know about.

Alex has also given me the entire 2nd floor of the Blue Nile to do with as I wish. I won't be starting until 2+, so this could go all night! Looking forward to steering my own ship - thanks Alex... Funk, hip hop, disco, soul, and go-go till dawn!

Still Working on 2 dates for Saturday the 30th - wish me luck.

May 1
Tip's Uptown
The Meters/Bonerama/DJ Medi4
10 PM
Last gig of the fest - then we fall down. This show WILL sell out. Don't sleep on the Masters. Very curious to hear Bonerama - regardless of the name. Worth clicking through to find out more.

1,000 thanks to Adam Shipley, booker & GM of Tip's for digging what I do. To my knowledge, he's never endorsed a DJ like this before. Huge thanks to Alex at the Boom Boom Room for the early love, too.

Should be a party, no? Jingle, jingle, bitches!

No comments: